Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Banana Bran Muffins

Following my dear SiL Kim's example in her blog , I will add a recipe to Linda's Fall Into Flavor .
My culinary successes are few and far between, and therefore merit publishing!
However, the recipe I'm about to share is not mine. It came out in an upscale magazine some years ago. I clipped it and came across it recently when I had several very ripe bananas that I hated to throw away. My grandson, an extremely picky eater (I cannot emphasize that enough) LIKES/LOVES/EATS these muffins. We are all astounded and acknowledge the significance of that endorsement. So, here goes:

1/2 c butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 c buttermilk
1-1/2 c all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 c Raisin Bran
1 c miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 c chopped pecans

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, bananas and buttermilk. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in the cereal, chocolate chips and pecans. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
Bake at 350º for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.

--Alyce Wyman
Pembina, North Dakota
She experimented by adding the gran cereal to a banana muffin recipe and also by replacing the chocolate chips and nuts with chopped dates.
I suspect it was the chocolate chips that won over our grandson, and every other tastee since!

2 comments:

  1. Those muffins sound delicious... I will be sure to keep this recipe handy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Haven't been buying bananas lately because we never seen to eat them before they go bad. Now I'll have to buy some so they CAN go (almost) bad and I can make these muffins :-)

    Do you read cousin Becky's blog? I've been getting even more chuckles than usual from her Tale of the Wisdom Teeth Extraction. (Not her own, but son Derek's teeth.) Anyway, you can link to her blog from mine. Hers is "Out Ioway".

    So it looks like our camera is broken and I am beyond sad. It would cost half what we paid for it to send it back to the U.S. for repair (sending it by FedEx, that is) so Ivan's going to see if he can get it fixed locally. But first we're trying Jon's suggestion of taking the battery out for a day and then putting it back in to see if it will correct itself.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!