Friday, August 14, 2009

One Hand or Another

One Hand Or Another
Matthew 25:31-45

This piece could also be titled THE END, as the context is the final judgment where all the nations are gathered before the heavenly throne of the Son of Man, the King, surrounded by all his angels.
That is when and where the separating takes place, some to the right, others to the left. Sheep to the right, goats to the left.
The criteria that determined eternal blessedness and kingdom inheritance: "whatever you did for the least of these brothers of mine." How we treat Christ's representatives on earth. Do we respond to their needs when we see them hungry, thirsty, in need of clothing, sick, strangers or in prison.
The artist has very aptly portrayed the water offered freely or kept to oneself.
After looking into this passage I have more questions than answers, so do the commentators.
Who are these brothers of Christ? Some say the Jewish nation. Others say the messengers of the Gospel. The literal interpretation would be any fellow human in need.
As I am not a Bible scholar, all I can do is pray for a generous heart and open eyes to the needs of those around me.
About the art and artist:
I appreciate the use of rustic materials available.
I only wish I could remember more of what our guide explained. Something about wherever there is red in religious paintings it means...?
The fingers seen through the glass and water are magnified. (I'm sure there is another artist' term for the altered dimensions.)
Janet Cameron, if she is the same one I found online, has a preference for sheep.
That is all I have to contribute. What do you have to say?
One more thought. I wondered whether the sequencing of the parables in the Art Pilgrimage was meaningful or merely practical. Why talk about the END so close to the beginning? Perhaps knowing how we will be judged shows us how we ought to live our lives now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!