Monday, January 17, 2011

Oldest remains found in Hondarribia

In fact, oldest remains of fruit trees...

The article linked above came to my attention today, Monday, first day of the week, coinciding with my desire to get back to our Adventures in Europe series, and write as often as possible.
"Finish what you start" is an oft repeated piece of advice from experienced and successful writers. So, I am grateful for the gentle nudge and the memories evoked.

First of all, I looked up two of the fruits mentioned that I had never heard of: sloes and medlar. Do you know what they are? I found these pictures on the internet.

Sloes

Medlar
The opening paragraph mentions the historic old quarter of the city, and that's where my reminiscing took off.
Researchers have found that the seed samples gathered over the years at medieval archaeological sites in the historic old quarter of Hondarribia are the remains of the oldest fruit trees in Southern Europe.
Our first full day in Hondarribia, which I began to describe here, Laurie and I wandered up to the historic old quarter surrounded by an ancient massive wall. We wound up and around the back entrance to the grand Parador Hondarribia.



 Then came around the other side to the entrance of the medieval-fortress-turned-modern hotel.


As we climbed we looked out over the water and could see the shores of France.

If you choose to lodge there, and have the means, Parador El Emperador offers views of the surrounding area from the highest point in the city. And you will be staying in the castle where Napoleon and other notable historic figures stayed.

I have no idea where the archaeobiologists found the seeds of ancient origins. However, here is one big old tree we saw in a small plaza of the old historic quarter.
















We were so fascinated by every aspect and detail, that we totally lost track of time. We were brought short by a phone call, and rushed across the bridge over the ancient moat to meet our hostess.


"Esas mujeres americanas."  (Those American women.) (*smile*)

3 comments:

  1. So interesting, yet it is probably totally mundane to the Hondarribians. I enjoy the vicarious visits to European sites. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lynn, very interesting! Looks like such a lovely place too. No wonder you lost track of time!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!