Monday, October 21, 2013

2013 Week 42: Fall Fun

A birthday celebration, a harvest festival, two day trips and all the regular involvements--another full week.

 Sunday we had a total of five events to attend. Here are two of family interest: Jude's first birthday party, and MAC's harvest festival and auction, a benefit for missions.

My two favorite photos of the many:
--Jude before being presented with his first birthday cake--a chocolate-covered sweet treat he had never tasted. Not sure what he thought of it.
--A book-lover already? After my own heart!

Carver Stephan at work; Brother Sam looking on
Son Stephan auctioned off all but two of his pumpkins and spent the week carving requested designs.
A couple samples:

The Story of Jonah

"Fairies, sprites, rainbows and stuff" were requested.

Monday evening we always look forward to the meal at Stephan and Karen's. 
It is dark now when we drive back and we arrive home to a lit-up tree sculpture. 
I tried to capture the moon in the background.


Later in the week we had a full moon and I experimented with my new-to-me camera.


Mike completed the second step in the casting process he is experimenting with.
Before attempting the process with his most recent sculpture, he took an older one to learn on.


Thursday we visited our consuegro in Michigan City and Saturday we traveled to a town south of Valparaiso to meet with other friends of the Basque Country.

So glad  we could have that time together. Mike left this morning very early for his annual trip with his brother. It is the last time in Idaho. Nebraska next year, si Dios quiere.

And now I must bring plants in and/or protect some from the frost to come.

Decorative Pepper Plant

3 comments:

  1. Love the baby with his book :) And those pumpkins! Is there anything that man can't carve?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same thought when I saw the photo of Jude with the book :) Start 'em young!

    I'm sure each sculpting medium has it's own challenges -- I wonder what Stephan liked/disliked about working with pumpkins? His talent never ceases to amaze!

    You're cooling down and we're heating up. It was in the 90s for a few days this past week already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw a comic strip the other day which shows a lady chopping up a pumpkin. It truly had no resemblance to Stephan's beautiful work. Next to it was the same picture, but with a child about 5 or 6 years old. The bubble above him had this statement. "Mom, how about from now on you quit calling me your 'little pumpkin'?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!