Sunday, January 7, 2018

2018 Week 1: A New Year

2018 opened bright and freezing cold! Even so we enjoyed an adventurous walk through the woods in the afternoon.


Stephan and Karen also ventured out in the cold this week. It was Karen's first time ice skating. I was very impressed watching the video Stephan posted.

Thanks, Stephan for this selfie and the video!

Wednesday, I visited Mother again and was surprised by the progress she's made getting around in the wheel chair on her own. She is taking in the reality of her options: work hard to reach the functionality required to return to her apartment in Assisted Living, or stay in the Health Center where she would get more care.


I've enjoyed the watercolor calendar my neighbor-friend gave me. Though I am not able to replicate the artist's sample, I am enjoying the practice exercise.


Michael, Moriah, and I attempted to put together an insane photo-puzzle, a reflection on a glass-encased beehive. I don't think I knew how difficult it would be, nor did I realize when I ordered it that it included an entirely white border. FYI we did finish it the next evening.


Saturday, Happy Kick-Off!, a BIG day for the robotics team. Michael left early. Moriah and I drove in later in time for the simulcast of this year's game--Power-Up. For the first time it was held in their own premises in the MadJax building, and they hosted two other teams as well. Hard to believe that last year at this time, they had barely moved into their new shop.

I was very glad to have Moriah's company and she was able to explain the challenges the team faces. The first couple days are critical as they determine the course to take, what will their robot be able to do to contribute to an alliance (and win!).

Team 1720 has a new mentor with much experience in FIRST. Michael was happy to let him lead the discussion of the Game Manual & Strategy Breakdown.


Moriah would have stayed for that afternoon session. But, alas, engineering students have very little leisure time, only unending hours of homework! Ryan, a junior engineering major, tells her it will get better.

Ryan and Moriah--PhyXTGears alumni

Last week Michael had a carcinoma removed from his ear and skin grafted on. (No photos, please!)
This week the stitches were removed and he also received the good news that they got all the cancer!

Do you have good news this new year?

2 comments:

  1. I love that calendar! Very cool gift.

    My good news so far is that I'm employed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic but I'd figured I'd ask.

    Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing a blog post or vice-versa?
    My site addresses a lot of the same topics as yours and I
    think we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you're interested feel free to send me an e-mail.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Wonderful blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!