Monday, January 22, 2018

2018 Week 3: January Joys

The week began still cold and snowy. I drove up to Grace Village Sunday afternoon.


Mother had a last post-surgery appointment Monday morning. The PA showed me the Xray. The rod in her leg has not moved and the bone is already growing up around it. However, it will take time to build up strength to get around with the walker and even then Mother decided to stay in the Health Care unit rather than try to go back to her Assisted Living apartment. In the rehab conference that followed, everyone agreed it was the wisest and best option for her.


Mother has become comfortable and content where she is, enjoys the activities and the community atmosphere.
In her Assisted Living apartment that night I noticed the verse Sharon cross-stitched and thought of her enjoying that fulness of Joy. It was, in fact, her birthday, January 15.


The next morning I awoke to the sound of the snow plow going around and around multiple times.
When I finally left after lunch, my car was buried under 4" of powdery white stuff.

Snow plow whizing past below my window.         Is there a car under there?

Back home I trudged up to the mail box. It was a good day to wear my Canada boots.


I am having a lot of fun learning watercolor techniques,  attempting to copy the variety of styles, and then making cards.


We started a 1,000-piece puzzle that now lives on the table where the chess board used to be. Some evenings we work on it together, and once I whiled away a couple hours waiting for Michael to get home from robotics.



Stephan arrived back midweek from his mountain-top adventure in Slovakia.

First and last sculptures: an abstract and "Flower Power" 

Elijah and I had fun shopping for his birthday. He becomes a teenager on Saturday! I found out that  he LUVS shoes and amazed me, and the salesgirl, with how much he knows about brands, styles, purpose and  price range! 

 

We stopped by MadJax to see what the robot-builders were up to. Mentor Mike was welding. Others were admiring the efficient performance of the drive train--first time using a swerve drive, all four wheels can rotate completely around. The mechanism is mounted on one of the old robots during the experimental period. And we saw the board game they play to learn the rules of the game.


That same afternoon, right across the street Kayla was teaching little princesses at a "ball." So Nana went along to help with Rebecca, so Mommy could focus on the group.

Rebecca at home performing her own little show.  With Nana at the Princess Party. Princess Becca.

1 comment:

  1. Princess Becca is too adorable (as always). I love your boots, and I LOVE your cards! Very pretty!

    Are you relieved that your mother has decided not to return to her apartment? It sounds like she'll receive good care & be entertained where she is.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!