Sunday, February 4, 2018

2018 Week 5: Memories

I suppose you could say the last two weeks have been majorly taken up with sorting through memories: my Mother's things she no longer needs; the old letters we read together; the Facebook posts from my recently-discovered high school classmates; old photos; and even a friend's oil painting that hangs in our living room remind me of old times growing up in Argentina.


Stephan's travels with stopovers in various European airports, reminded Leah of her favorite Brittish candy, so he obliged.


Tuesday, my brother and I finished moving the last items out of Mother's apartment and turned over the keys.
She is quite content as a resident in the Health Care area of Grace Village and involved in the various activities they offer. Saddly she does not see her friend Margaret much anymore.

"Aunt" Margaret; the two friends in April of 1997; Mother
While Mother was busy in Craft Hour, I dropped in on Margaret for a short visit. she had an envelope of old photos waiting for me. She knows how much I treasure all those old memories.

These are from 1950, the year when the Marshalls lived next door to us in this big old house.

Side view of house, I was 5 or 6 years-old
"Uncle" Jim takes turns giving my brother, Lynn and me, rides on his bicycle

Among the photos, was this old one of Mike and me. Wednesday was our 48th anniversary, and I did not get the customary yearly anniversary photo, so this one will have to do.


It was a special day, indeed. Our son Sam wrote a wonderful tribute on Facebook. True or not, it garnered over 200 responses, lovely congratulatory comments. Some from old friends that we hadn't heard from in forever.

 And our resident student made us a really cool card.


Yet another photo of my high school surfaced this week on Facebook.

Two views of Escuela Normal Mixta de Quilmes Almirante Guillermo Brown

Thursday we resumed our little art class. The teacher invited us to his apartment for a surprise project, different from watercolor. Can you pick out mine, Leah's, and guess which of the others won a token first-place prize?



My parents owned two other Juan Colle oil paintings. Ours, pictured above is titled "Arroyo Toledo."
I don't know about the other two, but all three were inspired by the area where our church camp was held at this time of year.
I shipped the one on the left to my brother Aldo in Denver, and brother Alan in Warsaw is taking the other.


Stephan has been extremely busy making ice art. This weekend he designed and carved 20 logo sculptures for a festival in Auburn.

In this interview he explains the process--Auburn Main Street


Not to be left out, here is son Sam's artistic expression for the week--the skateboard he designed, crafted, and shipped.


What about Michael? He spent most of his time on a variety of activities related to the robotics team. It is, after all, build season and the deadline is only 15 days away!

How do you express your God-given creativity?

1 comment:

  1. I am the Queen of Crochet at the moment. Church was canceled due to ice yesterday which meant that I didn't step outside of my house all weekend! It was glorious, although I was in danger of getting crochet claw by last night. Ha!

    I love all the little paintings & haven't a clue who did what, although I suspect that Leah did the dragonfly (?) because she steps to the beat of a different drum. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!