Sunday, August 12, 2018

2018 Week 32: Pleasures and Surprises



Sunday, the 5th, was a special day in many ways. We look forward to our worship service at church every week. Unfortunately Michael was still not up to going out. He also missed Kayla and Rebecca's summer dance recital in the afternoon.
Rebecca was in three of the classes her mother taught--a first.


Teacher Kayla was also a first-time Bollywood dance student.


Nana Leah was on Rebecca-costume-change duty. It was fun to have Aunt Jennifer and Grandma Judy there too.


We had surprise visitors that evening--good friends we hadn't seen in years. We first met them when he taught line dancing.
We haven't done that in ages, and then they moved away to winter in Arizona.

Don and Shirley Hunt
Recently Shirley came across a couple of art pieces I had asked her to frame. She was learning the skill at the time. Somehow they lay forgotten in her Indiana basement, and thus survived our housefire! In the meantime we also totally forgot, and sadly cannot even remember when, where, or who gave them to us. However, we are grateful to now enjoy the beautifully-framed art in our home, which is beginning to look like an art gallery.



Sunday Karen celebrated her birthday with a pool party. She invited teacher friends to bring their families and enjoy it with her.

Fun in the pool continued Monday. We went early to Stephan's weekly dinner so we could enjoy the water. Michael took this picture to prove I finally made it into the water. The temperature was perfect!



I received another photo taken at the writers' conference Karen and I had just attended. Interestingly, the roaming photographer captured the moment that was the highlight of the event for me--a one-on-one with a couple who own Bold Vision Publishing. Their encouragement and clear direction have inspired me to get up earlier most mornings and focus on the book I am writing abut my growing up years in Argentina. 



Speaking of Argentina, there was some encouraging news this week:
ABCNews Opponents of bill to legalize elective abortion in the first 14 weeks of pregnancy in Argentina celebrate on the streets of Buenos Aires after Senate rejects proposed legislation. https://abcn.ws/2KKhThS

Thursday was set aside to visit Mother. As I walked into the Health Center, I paused to look at the art posted on the bulletin board. What a surprise to notice her name on this stunning watercolor. The Grace Village residents are so privileged to have a well equipped Art Care Studio and the gifted teacher who brings out the best in each of his students no matter what limitations  they have.



Mother hasn't recovered her voice. Alan purchased this sofisticated multi-featured apparatus that allows her to punch in the words and it speaks for her. The first sentence she wrote said:
"I'm so thankful I didn't lose my voice when you were kids."



When I left in the afternoon, she was eagerly reading the first five chapters of my book.


There was a prestigious conference going on in Winona Lake that brings together the seven branches of Brethren groups descended from Alexander Mack (1708). I stopped by to check it out, especially interested in anything that would help me research the Grace Brethren missionary efforts in Argentina. I did not linger in the conference sessions as they were not relevant. However, I met volunteers working the reception area who led me to the person who deals with digital archives and showed me how to access abundant resources online. I also perused a bound volume of denominational magazines from the year 1946, a fascinating experience. I recognized so many names and places and look forward to reading informative stories and details from the era I am writing about.


Michael is trying to grow a few herbs and things in a new arrangement in trays attached to the deck rail.


The Muncie Koch kids, and teacher Karen, all started back to school this week.

Jude (K), Zion (3rd), Elijah (8th)
Any unexpected pleasures and surprises in your week?

3 comments:

  1. Rita, I would love to read what you are writing about growing up in Argentina. Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture of you at the conference! And it sounds like your mother hasn't lost her sense of humor :)

    My big surprise of the week is that my brother came to church with my sister-in-law & me. He's a long distance truck driver & is usually not home on Sundays, so that was a treat.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!