Tuesday, December 11, 2018

2018 Week 49: Christmas Cheer Everywhere

The Christmas star went up this week and other lighted specials such as the deer in the woods nearby, the wreath on the house, and two Christmas trees. Thank you, Michael!


Upland's annual Olde Tyme Christmas festivities happen the first Sunday in December with  carol singing and a tree-lighting ceremony. The same day, Kiddie Kampus puts on a special program in the morning at the church that hosts Rebecca's preschool. We were all there to watch and hear these cuties sing Christmas songs.


The weather, appropriately cold, helped to adorn our surroundings for the season.


Indoors, Christmas decor is slowly taking shape, reflecting the message of God's gift.


At our ladies-group brunch Wednesday we reflected on:

  • Mary's gift - TRUST. "I am the Lord's servant. Let everything you've said happen to me."  
  • Joseph's gift - OBEDIENCE. "And Joseph arose from his sleep, and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him, and took her as his wife."
Thursday we were able to meet again to do art. This time we painted tiles with ceramic paint, a bit more serious and lasting. Leah finished both of hers before any of us even had one. We hope to complete ours next week. 


I attempted the Argentine shield or coat of arms, intending to pair it with one of the US on my second tile. However, looking at the image, I'm not sure I'll be able to replicate it on a tile!


I visited Mother Friday to coincide with her art studio time. I asked for a project to work on next to her. I also picked up all the orders for family and friends--prints and card sets from her 2018 art collection. As always we had a good visit together. She showed me letters, photos, cards that had come in. We rearranged her bulletin board. At meal we laughed and chatted with the other ladies at the table. 


I also approached Dr. Homer Kent at another table and engaged him in a very interesting conversation. I asked him about his memories of Uncle Herman.
"Oh, he hired me!" Then went on to tell me much more.
His father moved the family, from Washington DC where he was a pastor, to Winona Lake where Homer would attend Grace Seminary. There were no mega churches back then, so when the church grew from 88-500 during his father's pastorate, that was significant.
Homer was not happy about the move. He had enjoyed growing up surrounded by historic sites.
He had an undergraduate degree from Bob Jones University and had done exceptionally well in English Composition. So when Dr. Herman Hoyt, Grace president, looked over the transcripts of incoming freshmen he picked him out as a potential teacher in their new collegiate division. At that time men were returning from the war and wanted to go to Seminary but lacked sufficient college training.
At the end I said, "So you ended up staying forever. How many years?"
"Fifty years, ten of those I was president."
He succeeded Uncle Herman as president of Grace College and Seminary from 1976-1986.

Saturday, our little tap group of mature women, the Dancin' Divas, had our first performance for the residents of the University Nursing Center. We failed to get a group photo there, but I had taken this one at our practice session wearing our new uniform, these shiny silver vests that flow and help cover up our bumps and bulges ;-) .



Other family members' art forms this week:
--skateboards, a Christmas collaboration

These limited Christmas Collaboration decks are now available. Pressed in Cincinnati by hand in #fickleskateboards studio & hand shaped right here in Muncie by #lifeskateboards in-house graphics by @benjamin_blakely $70 plus shipping, get them while you can! #midwestbluecollar #madeinmuncie #skateboard
--ice sculptures, Stephan's many pieces and demos for various festivals. 


Watch him in action here.



How are you celebrating this wonderful season?

1 comment:

  1. I love how popular your mother's art has become. I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating: SUCH a talented family!

    I'm feeling a bit panicky about getting these crocheted blankets done in time - already the one that is heading to South Korea won't be there by Christmas. Eep! We have our Christmas cantata on Sunday - that will help center me.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!