Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Robots and much more

Monday, I visited Mother. In the last month or two she has declined noticeably. I wanted to join her in the ArtCare Studio which she's enjoyed so much since being in the Grace Village Health Center. Sadly, she no longer finds her way there on her own and seldom participates. I took her there to see the latest art pieces. 

Mother's last complete painting
 Michael Conley, who so faithfully and graciously leads the program, commented that recently Mother has been more able to color than paint. He pointed out her last completed painting. I commented on the light and shadow. He said she did that totally on her own. Her most recent attempt and incomplete painting shows signs of confusion.
Mother's final attempt
Next we went to the Monday Hymn Sing and joined the large table surrounded by dear elderly residents in varying stages of cognitive and physical ability, but all united in a love for the old hymns whether or not they could still sing.
My former professor, later president of Grace Schools, Dr. Homer Kent, is seated next to Mother.


~~~~~~

I have been enjoying an organic produce delivery program. These are my Misfits for the week.



For me the week was a series of appointments and commitments. 

For Team 1720 it was a race to the finish, to have a working robot and drive team ready for the first district competition Saturday and Sunday. Michael was at the shop most days and survived several late nights. Then Friday afternoon he trudged off on his way to Bloomington with the trailer carrying PhyXTGears' 2020 robot, Infinite Horse Power, along with all the tools and pit equipment.



Saturday was a very exciting day of qualifying matches for Team 1720 as they climbed from the bottom third to #1! Students, mentors, parents watched from the stands. Some of us who couldn't be there were home glued to the livestream.

Teams, fans, and playing field
Others spent a great part of the time in the pits, either repairing the robot or helping other teams with their problems. 
One of the strong points of the FIRST program is their emphasis on cooperation and gracious professionalism. An example of this occurred over the weekend when a team which had lost their funding could only send the coach and one student to the competition. Other teams rallied around them to make up the drive team and work on their robot.
In the pit


After watching the last match of the day, I went to Kayla's house for Destiny's little birthday celebration--a game night.


From this photo, you may not be able to tell that her baby is due in five days! But I have a photo of Destiny and her "Kalani" bump on the job at Ivanhoes.


Instead of getting involved in the big people's game, I enjoyed time with Rebecca. Here she is with the blanket I knit for her as a baby. I think she has a Mona Lisa smile. Which pose do you prefer? 


Sunday Moriah and I had dinner at the Taylor University dining commons then came home to a very exciting afternoon of watching the playoffs with PhyXTGears on the #1 alliance winning all six games!


Sam, Kristie and the boys were there for the amazing finale.
This is my favorite photo from the weekend.

Grandpa explaining the robot to Zion and Jude


The winning alliance


There are two Kochs on the team. Can you find them?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't commented here because all of the pictures wouldn't load the first time I came by. I tried again using a different browser, but they're still not loading (I especially wanted to see the picture of Rebecca).

    I'm glad the robotic team did so well! And I wanted to say how sorry I am about your mother. I'm keeping you & your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!