Sunday, February 19, 2012

A little bit of everything

A very full week:
Mike--"robottery" commitments (mentoring robotics team and teaching pottery) + dedication to exercise (running every other day and racket ball) + mountains of paperwork to do with house fire recovery, and more=A LOT!
Rita--meetings, appointments, exercise activities (zumba  and water aerobics), weekly writing commitments, Bible studies, the daily joy of piano playing, and a girls overnight =A LOT OF FUN!

Sunday we waved goodbye to Sara and Jared as they headed back home to Arkansas.

 
Sweet memories remain and a very meaningful gift sits on the window sill which represents our desire for the 'new' house--to practice hospitality. Mi casa es su casa, is our motto.


Monday
Mike hasn't been to Monday meal at Stephan's since robot build-season began in January. He goes directly to robotics after the Red Barn.





I went to Monday night meal and got to hear about the winning "Flying Heron" (# 1 out of 20 ice sculptures at the professional competition in St. Joseph, MI)...


 ...and see the impressive trophy.

Tuesday, busy writing, no photos.

Wednesday
Can you guess where I am?

Yes, I chipped a tooth last week and had to have it repaired.

In Thursday's photo, you see the where, but what was I doing there?

Van Buren Public Library
You guessed wrong. I wasn't checking out books, I went to a poetry reading.
My contribution was I Love Ruthie, by Phil A. Smouse.
And, yes, I photographed yet another county Garfield statue to add to my collection.

Friday
My neighbor/friend, Glenda, and I joined a group of women that are experienced scrapbookers for an overnight at Wandering Wheels. It went from 3pm to 11am the next day. We had so much fun learning from the creative ideas of others, and playing with their toys (scrapbooking tools). You can tell a true 'scrapper' by the mountain of luggage. When I arrived with only one load, they wondered whether I'd come to the right place.
My project was to reassemble, in some attractive fashion, the series of saved photos that tell the story of the original house that Mike built.


We chose our bunk or sleeping spot and finally all was quiet sometime after midnight.


Saturday
The ladies who sponsored the event, as a fundraiser for the Serenity House, were up early cooking breakfast for us.

Breakfast around the fireplace
Glenda's favorite phrase the whole time was "I like it. I like it a lot!"

Michael also 'overnighted' but with no sleep and not nearly as much fun. As the deadline for shipping the robot draws near, hours are extended. The FIRST program aims to replicate the life of an engineer--resolve a problem in a given time frame with available resources and set guidelines. You thought only doctors have strange schedules?

The grand finale to our week was being able to attend the Marion Philharmonic Orchestra's concert held at Taylor University. (Mike did get back just in time to attend, and didn't fall asleep during the program!) And, the cherry on top, or two cherries--we were given three complimentary tickets at the last minute and our DIL came with us! (Stephan is competing in Wyoming this weekend.) There was a third cherry--Karen invited herself to dinner with me before the event!

7 comments:

  1. That Heron is amazing...I just don't see how he does that!!!

    You definitely practice your motto well!!! can't wait to see you again!

    I used to love overnight scrapbooking events. but now I do all mine digitally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun time with crafting...and the fireplace was cool, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to a scrap booking retreat, but it seems like it would be so much fun! there's a group of ladies that meet at our church one Friday night a month and scrap from 6pm to midnight, but that's the closest I've come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a busy week! Love the heron - so much talent!

    I used to scrapbook - but then we moved to just keeping the pictures in the computer. I still have a ton of "old-fashioned" pics that I should put in books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure I could stay up overnight for anything :) Glad you didn't have to! It does look like a fun thing though. I've dabbled with scrapbooking but never gotten serious about it. Will look forward to seeing what you create as a memory of the "old homestead".

    Did you take the photo at the dentist's? Or have someone take it for you? How amazing that you even thought to take a photo! I'm always dreading the visit too much to think about something like a photo. lol

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The scrap-booking retreat looked fun!

    You had a busy and fun week!

    Blessings
    R

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went to the dentist today... got two crowns replaced... it was a much overdue visit and I am glad I finally did it.
    I would love to do a scrapbook getaway like that... I've heard of it but never had an opportunity to attend one. Maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!