Sunday, March 18, 2018

2018 Week 11: Life Mixes

This week we've had an intermittent mix of snow, ice and sunshine. Along with the mixed up weather came a mix of celebration, fun, work and news of hardship and sadness.

Morning ice-glazed view
Stephan wanted to go to Fogo de Chao for his birthday. It is an upscale Brazilian steakhouse in Indianapolis. So Sunday we picked up Diane and joined Stephan and Karen for the exquisite culinary experience. 


Monday was Stephan's actual birthday and he wrote the following on Facebook (smile) 
By this time of the day 47 years ago I was born. I was born in a hospital so as to be near my mother who had just traveled through a blizzard to get there. When I came into the world it was too much to take so I decided not to breath. The midwife knew enough to beat it out of me and then I decided breathing was probably a good idea after all and have been doing it ever since. Having done both the not-breathing and the breathing I have to say that breathing is probably the way to go. Being 47 allows me to be thankful for a few things so much life experience has given me:
A) I'm thankful I am no longer carded for alchohol, lighter fluid, and dry ice.
2) I'm thankful for the new water softener and pressure tank,
C) I'm thankful that I bought Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover 10 years ago for $10. (It has since saved me over $100,000+).
IV) I'm thankful for my lovely wife of 17+ years,
Five) And also but not lastly I'm thankful for my kind and talented parents who keep helping and teaching by example.

Just think all of this has been possible because I was beaten as a child. True story.

We didn't join the small celebration at Monday Night Dinner because we attended Elijah's school spring concert to hear his trumpet solo. We couldn't see him from where we sat, but thankfully someone was able to take photos of him in action.


Tuesday was a strange and beautiful day, with off and on heavy snowfalls throughout. Stephan took it as an extra birthday gift. Can you see the huge fluffy flakes?



Speaking of snowflakes, I was grateful to learn a technique to add some to my finished watercolors in our art club this week. Can you see them?


The friend who took the photos I copied joined our group Thursday
She also gave me a new turtle for my collection and made arrangements for us to have our nails done together afterwards at a new business in town called Polished. She tried her best to persuade me to go bold. "Skin Color" was the best I could handle. Maybe next time.
New turtle members meet; new nails for the month
While a few of us were having art fun, Michael and Moriah were helping Dash (the 3-ball robot) learn to write. Thursday afternoons from 3:00 - 4:00 she teaches a robotics class in a neighboring town to ten elementary school children.

Writing lesson
Earlier this week Moriah contributed to Pixel's wardrobe by sewing the bumper covers for this year's PhyXTGears' robot, even though she is no longer on the team. 


We are grateful she found the time to help and was able to figure out how to use my sewing machine. Most of the time she is gone studying and doing homework with other engineering students.

Friday evening, however, she got away for a few hours to attend the team fundraiser, Quartermania

Our winnings!
Michael's week was intense--late robotics nights, and early mornings designing the satellite. And next week the first competition. So stay tuned!

I mentioned bad news hit our extended family this week--a death, and a difficult diagnosis. So we pray.

3 comments:

  1. DIL Karen's FB post:

    When I was fresh out of college and living just a couple of miles from my sister, her husband adopted me as the little sister he never had. They gave me a key to their house and let me come do laundry in exchange for occasional babysitting of my niece and nephew. He never seemed to mind that I would go to their house and raid their fridge while they were out. He gave me advice, most of which I ignored, but he loved me anyway. He made it his mission to look out for me until I got married, and while I chafed at that at the time, I know now what a blessing that was and how much it was evidence of his love for me.

    Tomorrow I will say my last goodbyes to him. I wish I’d realized sooner how much he loved me and I wish I’d shown him more appreciation when I had the chance.

    I’ll miss you, Karl.

    http://www.leppertmortuary.com/obitu…/248615/Karl-Horlander/

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss,

    Karen. May You know God's comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to Stephen! And I love Elijah's bow tie - very dapper :)

    I'm so sorry for all the hard news. And I'm praying...

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!