Tuesday, April 3, 2018

2018 Week 13: Another opportunity

Among the Easter decorations I dug out of the attic, I was especially drawn to this small clay piece I picked up somewhere, I can't remember where or when. It took on special meaning this year. Jesus bore our shame, paid for our prideful wrongdoing and then gave us a new commandment, "Love one another as I have loved you."
As a family we experienced an outpouring of loving support like never before from all over the world, hundreds if not thousands prayerfully and practically bearing our burdens with us. Our local communities and Facebook came alive! I am convinced we heard from every person we've met or befriended over the years. Thank you!


A brief reminder of what Sam's family went through a week ago:

Saturday March 24th, 13 year-old Elijah broke his leg in a skateboarding accident and was taken to the ER. While at the ER with him, 19 year-old Malachi, on his way back to Grace College, was in a terrible head-on collision at 60mph (not his fault). He was intubated and lifelined by helicopter to Parkview Regional Medical Center in Fort Wayne.

Both boys underwent surgeries early Sunday morning, same hospital (thankfully Elijah was taken there and not to Riley!), same surgeon, back to back surgeries, same leg - the left one.  

Michael left the robotics competition in snow-bound Plainfield and came home. Then we went together to Fort Wayne and spent the day taking turns, as needed, to visit the boys in different areas of the huge hospital so parents and others could have a break or switch stations.
We learned about the services of the Ronald McDonald House within the hospital--a wonderful free potato bar meal for all of us that evening and a room for Sam, Kristie, and Elijah discharged earlier!
While there, Grace College president Bill Katip and wife Debbie stopped by. Others had come the day before to support the family.
Sharing anecdotes with Bill and Debbie Katip, president of Grace College
Monday Kristie woke up ill with Influenza B so drove home with Elijah.
Later that afternoon Grandma Debby dropped off the two young ones. We took them to Stephan and Karen's and had a wonderful meal.

It's good to be on spring break! The boys slept in late Tuesday. They had fun painting wooden eggs and crosses for our Easter tree.


We joined Kayla and Rebecca for lunch at Taco Bell.


When I took the boys home that night, I found Elijah crutcheting about! 


The daily progress has been astounding. The most surprising was Malachi's discharge Wednesday, allowed to go home instead of a rehab facility! Of course, he must have 24/7 care, meds, and go to rehab next week.


Many came to their rescue with a walker, help, provisions, and ever continuing prayer.

Thursday Michael left for the second district competition in West Lafayette. I went to help out at Sam's and then took the younger ones to Escapades. Due to spring break and rainy weather, the place was packed. We met up with Kayla and Rebecca there. They had so much fun, although it took Rebecca a while to get up the courage to join the roudy croud!





Can you tell what Rebecca's T-shirt says? ;-)


Rebecca took a few pictures with my cell phone: a mama goose sitting on her eggs, right outside the window by our table; and abuela herself. Not bad, I thought.


Grandma Debby came to pick up Zion and Jude went home with me, decided previously by a coin toss. Jude and I watched the movie "Coco."
The little guy was homesick so he got to sleep on Grandpa's side of the bed. Friday we followed every qualifying match that Team 1720 was in. We kept the live stream on playing loudly and ran upstairs to the computer whenever they were on. However, Jude only cheered for blue alliances, so quite often we were opponents!
Between matches, I tried to get some things done, or we played together. He insisted on a game of chess. Between the two of us we attempted to remember rules, forget strategy!


Grandmas swapped kids at a McDonald's half-way.  It was now Zion's turn with me.
Saturday morning I watched the opening ceremony and the last three qualifying matches before Zion even got up. Ah, spring break!

I followed the team photos posted on Facebook as well, and finally spotted Michael. When I commented on that they said he rarely sat down, and was often in the pit helping repair Pixel, the robot.

Moriah, also on spring break, enjoyed getting back into the fray.


The greatest exciting surprise of the day was that our team, the PhyXTGears, made it to alliance selection, the #8 seed, and was then invited to join #3 seed alliance!

Alliance #3 captains
Though they did not make it beyond semifinals, we are grateful for the learning experience, the progress, and for the awards!



That evening Debby came halfway with Jude and I took both boys the rest of the way home. I was so blessed to visit with Malachi, as alert, positive and witty as ever!




Mom and Dad, however, are quite exhausted. Doesn't this look like those old-time photos?


This morning I read a phrase from John 11:15 that caught my attention: ". . . this will give you another opportunity to believe in me. . ." Jesus was explaining to the disciples why he was glad he had not been there when his friend Lazarus died.
Sam and Kristie have been given multiple opportunities to trust God's goodness. He has been faithful to them through Sam's brain surgery, Kristie's major surgery only a year ago, and now this.
Malachi, such a gift to our family 19 years ago, has been given back to us. 

1 comment:

  1. I am SO behind on reading blogs! I'm mostly reading & not commenting at this point, until I get caught up, but I wanted to say that I LOVE Rebecca's tshirt - ha! And I love all the love your family has received through this crisis.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!