Monday, June 11, 2018

2018 Week 23: Mother and More

My cell-phone camera was very busy this week.


Sunday morning I got a call from Grace Village. The nurse informed me that Mother had been complaining of a slight cough, congestion, and had not yet recovered her voice from when I had seen her on Tuesday. An xray seemed to indicate mild congestive heart failure, so her doctor wanted her to go to the ER. I drove up immediately. My brother Alan was there when I arrived.


As I drove, I began to think more seriously about preparing for when God's time comes for Mother to leave us. I honestly haven't given much thought to that eventuality, except to visit more often and enjoy the times we have.
I spent three days with her at Kosciusko Community Hospital, always coming home at night. I was glad to be her voice and help in any way possible. They put her through all kinds of tests: more xrays; EKGs and blood draws; ultrasound of the carotid arteries; brain and chest scans; an MRI. Several doctors were trying to understand and determine what was going on. The hospital xray showed her lungs were clear. The ENT put a scope down through the nose and found that her left vocal chord was not working. So the neurologist was checking for possible stroke.


She had a number of visitors, some sang and prayed with her.


My youngest brother Alan, who lives nearby, was there every day as much as possible. Of course he brought his work with him. I enjoyed spending that time with him, reconnecting, and learning about his new adventures. August 6th he will start teaching automechanics to high school students!


Tuesday evening she was discharged and I left her settled in her own bed. However, the questions she wrote that last day are still unanswered.



Meanwhile, back in Upland, Elijah arrived Sunday evening to spend the week with us and attend Fun in the Sun, a program for middle schoolers.
He made his bed when he got here, rode a bike back and forth to the church, prepared his own lunches, took our trash up to the road using the segway, and overall enjoyed his independence ;-)


Wednesday he and I went to Ivanhoes. I think he really enjoyed the Big Panther, the BLT salad and Reese's Cup sundae! (Actually we shared the last two.)


And I can sefely say he enjoyed beating us at Hand and Foot. Elijah looks bored, Michael appears to be stumped, and my hand looks to be in trouble.


Thursday morning Michael helped pour cement at the church, as they extend the parking area.
I am grateful for this photo sent to me. Deidra must have noticed that often Michael is under-represented in my blog.

Photo credit Deidra Blosser
He went in to Madjax in the afternoon to continue work on the satellite. The good news is that after numerous versions, they got this one to work, and may be ready for the second balloon launch next Friday!

Elijah and I went to Jude's PreK graduation that evening. The little guy is very expressive! We were quite entertained by his performance of the song "Jesus is my Superhero." When it came time for his recognition, the sign he held up read: "When I grow up I want to be teacher/boxer."


The Spring Kochout for the robotics team was planned for Saturday, and we also had overnight guests arrive. So they enjoyed the fun and food as well.

Patricia and Tim Young
People, conversation, games going on inside and outside, after the rain. 


I taught the early arrivals a new game that Elijah showed me, and that kept going all evening with varying groups.


Have you ever played "trash"?

1 comment:

  1. What a busy week for you! I hope your mother regains the use of her voice. That Jude looks like a hoot :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!