Tuesday, July 31, 2018

2018 Week 30: Basque Visitors and Birthday

 Not too many flowers available to pick for a bouquet. However, the begonias I winterized in the window boxes are thriving.


Monday after coffee with friend Petey we checked out two lovely public gardens.

Last week the town paper carried my article which describes our involvement with young people from the region of Spain we've visited a few times.


A few of the activities with our Basque "grandson" Jon. A second game of Hand and Foot. He caught on with no problem, but as "luck" would have it, I won.


One day we explored the woods and he enjoyed climbing up to the hunter's seat.


Another day we toured Taylor University where he spotted this large cardboard insect in the art department.


The group traveled to Chicago for a couple days. So while they were gone, I visited Mother on Wednesday, Bingo day.


We--brothers Ivan (all the way from Las Vegas) Alan. nephews Nicolas and Daniel, and family friend "Aunt" Margaret (also 97)--celebrated Mother's upcoming birthday, July 29.


I arranged the birthday cards that had arrived and admired cousin Beth's beautiful gift of a Scripture coloring book and pencils.


Meanwhile, the entire week, every day, Michael and Stephan were totally focused on pool renovation, overcoming problems, and beautifying the surroundings.  (More to come next week.)



Friday morning  our new neighbor kids came over to use the zipline. Recently our youth pastor and family of five kids moved in next door.


That evening the Basque gang was at Sam and Kristie's for ice cream and later fun by the fire pit.



That evening I asked Zion to model Ivan's uniform from when he was a school kid in Argentina.


When we were kids growing up in Argentina, my brothers and I had to wear white uniforms to school. In my days they were pleated, starched and ironed. Mother had it easier with the youngest siblings, the gurdapolvos, as they are called, were a different style and fabric, like wash and wear.
Ivan gave me a bin of memorabilia that he could not take with him. I had so much fun reminiscing with each item I pulled out. (More to come next week).

Ivan worte:
Definition of guardapolvo: A smock worn by school children designed to "keep dust" and to make all children equal in socioeconomic class. unfortunately it is very effective in accomplishing the former and equally ineffective at the latter.
Jon presented us with gifts from his country: a popular brand t-shirt with the symbol of a whale (the whaling industry was huge until 1904); a beautiful table cloth and napkins in the colors of the Basque flag. The adorned table was conducive to fancier meals.


Much more to come next week as we say goodbye to our new friends from the Basque region of Spain.


1 comment:

  1. I love the flowers and I LOVE that tablecloth & napkins! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!