Monday, September 10, 2018

20-18 Week 36: More Fun

These beauties line the path leading to the Gray Barn. We look down on it from the Green Barn where we have tap class every week. How much longer will we enjoy them?


Our class will begin meeting on Momdays now. However this last week was Labor Day and the end of the annual Upland festival. The holiday weekend temperatures were the highest they'd been since 1963. 

I signed up for the 5K as usual despite the fact that I'd not run since last year's Labor Day race. What did I get myself into? I spotted my competition right away  and tried to stay close, but she was ahead of me most of the race. I noticed she also had to pace herself, run-walk-run-walk-walk . . . I managed to catch up once, have a little chat with her, but could never stay ahead. Her daughter coaches her, and they run together at least twice a month. She is four years older than me and so deserved to win first place in our age category. She encouraged and inspired me to keep at it regularly, at least once a month. And we hope to see one another again next year!


After the race I joined Michael and the Greenway promoters in the parade. He was entertaining the crowd as he rode his new trike.
We stopped when we came to family by Leah's house. Notice Rebecca cowering in the back, "I'm scared."


Tuesday was still stifling hot. Poor Elijah was exhausted after the soccer game. Kristie and I on the sidelines in the sun were also soaking at the end.


The big surprise of the week was when I opened Facebook and saw Mother featured as the September Artist-of-the-Month. I shared the lovely photo and since then 150 have reacted or responded in some way.

Family members were invited to a summer picnic in the Healthcare courtyard Thursday evening. I surprised Mother and showed her the messages and names of her many FB fans. During the visit I made sure to get photos of all the displays featuring her accomplishments. ARTcare is such a wonderful program!

 

Another surprise awaited me when we got back to Mother's room. There was a perfect little table where she can do her coloring. For two weeks I had searched for a desk that would serve that purpose and able to accomodate her wheelchair, but no luck. So the question I had was, "Where did this come from? Who gave it to you?" We concluded Margaret had asked one of her sons to find a solution for her dear friend Kathryn.


All week long Michael has been tinkering with his new recumbent--making a more comfortable seat and adding an electric assist.


We've attended graduations of robotics alumni over the years, and now a wedding Friday evening--Jessica Bennett to Bryce Masters.


Saturday we had a Grandma outing with Kayla, Rebecca, Zion, and Jude. Kayla shared her family passes to Minnetrista and the Muncie Children's Museum. To start out we met for lunch at Culver's.


The young'uns hardly stopped all day. The longest they stood still was when they wrote messages to put in a bottle part of the Minnetrista Message in a Bottle Collection exhibit.


Among the many fun moments, two favorites were: listening to Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary  while driving and at bedtime, and watching a movie, The Neverending Story. Oh, and climbing the circular staircase in all kinds of different ways, making up rules for various levels of challenge.

What were the fun highlights of your week?

1 comment:

  1. That table solution is genius! Very cool. And I love that wedding dress.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!