Tuesday, September 25, 2018

2018 Week 38: Gains and Losses


Monday we experienced a loss in the family. Michael's middle-of-three stepsisters died at age 78 after living a full life while overcoming  years of physical setbacks, the last being a paralyzing stroke in the last week.

Judy and Dave Butt

Michael spent many quiet hours at Madjax (the robotics shop) assembling BattHawks, the plug-in voltmeter they designed for sale to other teams as a money-making venture for PhyXTGears. The students are required to put in so many hours on the assembly line. However, there is an order for 450 due October 2nd, the official start-up date of the robotics season. Hence no student helpers available yet. Each BattHawk takes a total of five minutes from start to finish.
I went in with him Monday and worked on my new laptop as he labored patiently furthering the process all the while entertained listening to podcasts.


Then we went together as usual to enjoy Stephan's good cooking and our weekly fellowship time.

Tuesday I drove up to Warsaw to meet Malachi--always a joy! We had lunch together and then I went on to Grace Village Healthcare for a conference regarding Mother's care. All reports were positive, everyone amazed at how well she is doing for her 97 years! She did trip and fall a few days ago, but nothing happened. They had called me, as they are supposed to. Two aids were in the room with her. They now make sure to use a support belt in all transfer situations.
When I came out of the conference, the bus was loaded up and ready to take the residents to the park. The driver invited me to join them, rather than drive my own car. Mother was delightfully surprised to see me and have me sit next to her. It was a beautiful hot and sunny day. The elderly (one of them 102 years old) sat in a circle in the shade enjoying the outdoors.


That evening I joined these ladies for dinner. Bev, their table mate, was missing so I took her place. Joene said that Bev always had funny stories to tell, so now it was my place to tell jokes. Thanks to Google I found 75 Short Jokes Anyone Can Remember. Throughout the meal I kept reading jokes. The laughter grew. Residents at other tables looked on enviously curiously. By the end we were in tears and laughing at anything anyone said. So I took a picture of the "laughing ladies." Strangely, however, they barely smiled for the photo, ha!

Mother (97), Vi (97), Joene (late 80's)

I was given two heavy bags of misshapen pears from a friend's overflow. They made great cinnamon stewed pears that I was able to contribute to the opening brunch of our ladies' Bible study group on Wednesday.


Early Thursday morning Michael drove me to Marion for my right-eye cataract surgery. He chose to watch the procedure on screen in an adjacent room. He's interested in that kind of thing. All went well. By midafternoon I felt up to walking, gently, wearing only sunglasses. I realized that I could see even enough to read without my glasses--amazing surprise. I brought back a bunch of flowers and put together a bouquet.

Moriah kindly spent time with me that evening. She sleeps and showers here, but mostly lives (eats studies, socializes) on campus.


Friday I was allowed to drive, thus able to attend my writers' group--always an enjoyable learning experience with good friends.
Michael spent the day BattHawking and when he came back took his trike for a first  long ride in its finished souped-up condition.


Saturday, we left very early for Judy's funeral in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. We had an extra hour to tour the Caddy Vista neighborhood where Michael grew up. After decades of changes, he had to guess a lot. This may have been the house they lived in--mother, step-dad, and sisters.


Next we stopped by the church where we were married.


The current pastor happened to be there and gave us a tour. However that is not the same sanctuary nor the aisle I walked down. There was a fire in '82 and many changes made since then.


We arrived for the visitation, a good time of sharing stories, memories, and tears.
(For more photos click on the link.)


Remembering Judy

We spent the night in Don and Nan's beautiful home. Had a wonderful time with their whole family that evening sharing so many stories.

Sunday morning they took us out to breakfast before our trip back to Indiana.


The miles flew by as we listened to an audio book, The Glass Castle, only interrupted by the Packers game and two stops: our first IKEA experience in Milwaukee, and the obligatory visit to Mars Cheese Castle for fresh curds, the ones that squeak.



My only art this week was doodling on the brown paper table covering at the restaurant with family after the funeral and it is dedicated to the grieving sisters who cannot imagine life without their loving mom.


Kathy, Dave, Cindy (between tears)

1 comment:

  1. So sorry for the loss of Mike's step-sister. I'm glad you guys were able to go to the funeral. And glad your surgery went well!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!