Monday, October 1, 2018

2018 Week 39: Highlights

No new flower centerpiece to open my blog post this week so I chose one of the many watercolor exercises. The yellow wild flowers and the cup of tea seemed fall-appropriate. 


 A reading list also seems fitting as we enter cooler seasons. Perhaps that thought led Lisa to ask during Stephan's dinner Monday, "Karen, what are your favorite books for young readers?" Can any of  you comment on the list we compiled?


Social media has become a primary time-consuming source of entertainment, communication, and information, which takes away from from book reading. I tell myself that I use the internet as a tool, but also realize that it robs me of precious minutes.

Most of us have grown conditioned to respond to notifications and are likely to check Facebook first thing in the morning.  Tuesday I was especially blessed to read Sam's post, although the accompanying photo is so very sad:


 18 years ago today the Lord delivered Kristie and I from a life of bondage, depravity, hopelessness, and pain. Often times when I share my story people try and give me credit for changing my life. The truth is I have no power on my own to do anything righteous. And every year that passes I become more aware of that reality. The only action I can take is to surrender to Jesus! He is my only hope. I am so grateful for the life I now have living life without drugs, without being dopesick everyday, without seeking drugs everyday, without wanting to die. I am so blessed to have Kristie by my side through it all sharing in the hope, the trials, and the victories. I am also so blessed to have 4 amazing sons that love Jesus! Life isn’t easy but it is good today, very, very good!
That very evening Sam and Kristie were invited to share their story at a chapter of Brianna's Hope.
I went to hear them and see what this recovery outreach is doing. I was so impressed by the welcoming spirit and the caring volunteers. 
A good group gathered in a circle for prayer before the meal. Many do not stay for the program--music and a recovery testimony. Most who remain have been affected by addiction personally or in the life of a loved one. 
Laurie (top left) is an artist and writer, the mother of a recovering addict. She uses her talents to bless and reach out to those who come. She sits at a table with her pastels and squares of tar paper and does art with anyone so inclined. During the opening songs, I noticed she had taken her art materials and sat next to a visitor off by himself. Then I saw she was working on his portrait (top right in the red t-shirt).
Every time I hear Sam and Kristie's story, which is not often, I am struck by the progression that led to depravity, hopelessness and despair, but even more so by God's power to deliver and transform lives.
The pastor and his wife ended with a beautiful song which speaks to their story--they lost a son to drugs. 


Wednesday was the first night of our church's outreach to the children of the community. I took Rebecca to . . .


. . .and when I picked her up later, she exclaimed, "I had fun!"

The highlight Thursday was Grandparents' Day at Kiddie Kampus--the preschool Rebecca attends four days a week. 
There are some 30  four-year-olds in her class, so you can imagine how many grandparents where there. Rebecca alone had four grandparents there--"Nana" and "Grandma Cheryl", "abuela" (my own special designation as great grandma) , and "Papa" Jimmy too!
The new facility is huge and well furnished. We had a tour, snacks, photos, crafts, a music program by the little ones, a book fair, and a bikathon.




The final highlight of the week was the last robotics competition of the year--RAGE (Robotics All Girls Event) on Saturday. It appeared that Pixel the robot, acted his age, old and worn out. Nevertheless, the girls got to experience the excitement of being on the drive team.


And now we look forward to a new month, another cataract surgery (left eye) and the many good things God has prepared for us. (Ephesians 2:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!