Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Birthdays

Does your week begin on Monday, like Spanish calendars? If so, this is the appropriate photo. We were arriving at Stephan's for Monday Night Dinner and the sunset was so beautiful. 
Kendra and Zack came as well. It was a very enjoyable evening.


However, our calendar week begins on Sunday and we set aside that day for a weekly rhythm of corporate worship and are ever so grateful that we can meet together with our church family.

Sunday, February 28, was Zack's birthday. Kendra baked his cake of choice, one of her family favorites, Wacky Cake. Michael is giving her a hard time as usual, which she knows very well how to give back.



This bag Kayla gave me at Christmastime, is perfect for carrying my necessary items to Tuesday Bible study, but it's message may already be out of season. The sun is out and the snow is gone.


March has the most birthdays in our family circle. Wednesday, March 3, Lexi, Malachi's fiance was 22. I noticed on Facebook that he came from Winona Lake and met up with her at The Bridge Cafe in Upland! I had just been there that morning with a friend. 
We are eagerly looking forward to their wedding in a couple months.



Starting Wednesday, Michael has been helping Stephan every day. The first day they laid out the dimensions of the new house. 


 
Stephan is overwhelmed with everything coming together at the same time: sugaring, ice carving jobs, and house building. 
He collects sap from his 40+ maple trees, several hundred gallons by now, then boils it down into syrup.


Thursday's wonderful sunshine invited me to walk the mile or two to a friend's house to pick up a book she rebound for us. On the way back I met another walker. What a surprise to recognize Joy, someone I hadn't seen in more than twenty years. We had so many stories to tell.


The week ended with yet another birthday celebration. Destiny had experienced a Koch-style fondue meal early on in her relationship with Skye, so that is what she wanted for her birthday. 


I spent the day preparing and we were able to enjoy a "fun to do" fondue with two thirds of the growing Koch clan. It's a slow meal where everyone cooks their own meats and vegggies in either of the two pots of hot oil. Fondue fork squabbles and a race for the "floaties" are part of the fun.


Destiny also preferred the Krazy Koch birthday song.
Can you read her age on the brownie cake?


Come back next week for a very significant birthday in our family.

2 comments:

  1. Well I fit right in since my birthday is on the 3rd. I love the idea of the fondue meal. I think those candles say 20?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the extended Koch birthday circle! What a popular date. I have two other friends born on March 3! I hope yours was joyful.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!