Friday, February 22, 2013

Dear Daddy


You lingered long years and days waiting for the trumpet call.
Months back when I asked how you were, you could barely whisper
"I'm just waiting." Those were the last clear words I remember.
Your tired body did not hold out, your spirit eager to go.

Yesterday, I talked to you and touched your soft shoulder.
You shuddered and sputtered, breathing was not easy.
I started to sing. I needed to reach you somehow.
The 23rd Psalm came to me, oft sung to my children.

When I came to the shadow of death verse,
I sang loudly "I will fear no evil for Thou art with me"
And again at the end, "I will dwell in the house of the Lord,
forever, forever, in the house of the Lord forever. Amen."

"Lord, take him home," I prayed in my heart. And He did!
Your passing was so gentle, almost imperceptible.
Mother said, "You put him to sleep."
We hugged and cried, so grateful to be there, so sad to be left.

¡Hasta pronto, papá!  See you soon, Daddy!

4 comments:

  1. prayers for you and yours...safe travels for the family and a special time shared as you celebrate his homegoing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a sweet, sweet memory. Praying for you and and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a lovely poem - made me cry! I'm glad you sang him home... Prayers for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful poem Rita. We will always remember how God orchestrated every detail so you could get home and usher 'your daddy' to his eternal home.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!