Sunday, January 19, 2014

2014 Week 3: Settling slowly

This week life began to slowly settle back into the accustomed routines we had before the holidays, Sam's health-crisis, and winter-related closings. Of course, 'extras' are always thrown into the mix, such as dental appointments, jury summons, etc.
I decided to review the weeks according to the Spanish calendar with Monday as the first day of the week.
Daughter Leah faces some major dental work and wanted me there.

Leah bracing herself to endure ongoing dental procedures
Kayla's tap class for mature women started back up. All three of us were there and had a lot of fun. We wish we could recruit more participants.
Mike visited Sam and wore him out playing a game of chess before heading back to Muncie for robotics.
I went to Monday night meal by myself and on the way admired the blazing sky and noticed the diminishing patches of snow.

Tuesday we experienced another emotional roller coaster. We were still waiting, hopeful for Sam's release. Surgery had been scheduled in the event that the doctors deemed it necessary. The first report of the morning was not very positive. Not long after, as Kristie was driving to the hospital, Sam called to say that the infectious disease physician had come and said all was good and he could be discharged that very day! The leakage was not cranial fluid and he would only need four more days of constant antibiotics instead of several weeks!
One final painful suture and they were homeward bound!

So much pain. So much love.
Kristie kept us all well informed via Facebook. These photos, however made me cry.
There is very much to be grateful for in this whole ordeal but many questions regarding pain still remain.
We are so  thankful for the surgeon. This is a great article describing Dr. Shapiro, the Smooth Operator.

Wednesday morning we visited with Sam at home, while Zion chattered the whole time about his imaginary pets (the pups he named Skye and Jake) and showed us his bike-riding progress.

 Kristie posted the following photos of Sam's first full day at home:

"I'd like to say Sam's first day home was uneventful. However, the home nurse, who arrived early, had to wait an hour and a half for the delivery of his IV antibiotics. After the delivery arrived at 10:30 pm last night, she proceeded to teach me how to care for Sam. After an hour of frustration, she concluded the IV pump was broken. So she left, we went to bed and Sam had to go about 18 hours with no antibiotics. Day two has been much better. The home nurse, Stephanie (pictured below), was back at 9:30, a new pump was delivered prior, and all has been well since.  

Sam and new IV pump; Sam, plugged-in and helping Zion play with the Wii
Sam, reading cards delivered by parents; Sam resting!
 A happy photo a couple days later shows Sam smiling, enjoying more family time than he'd had in a while.

Thursday was a quiet snowy day of writing.
I decided on the perfect place to hang the beautiful Chinese painting that young friend Nanxin gave me at Monday meal. She explained that it is an ancient poem describing the qualities of bamboo--very strong with each segment that grows out of another. I'd love to know the full translation.

Reminds me of strength upon strength. Somehow each trial we come through makes us stronger.

Coincidentally, this week I have been listening to a beautiful novel set in China: City of Tranquil Light. I ordered it after hearing the interview between cousin Rosie (Moody Bible Institute professor) and the author on Midday Connection Book Club. I highly recommend both.

Group exercise opportunities started up for me again this week--water aerobics and fusion.
Wednesday Mike discovered the pipes in the pottery room at the Red Barn had frozen and needed repair. So they had only one session this week, on Friday. 

When I stopped by, the room was full of busy youngsters.

Saturdays are long days for Team 1720 and for the first time they learned how to stream-live from the workshop.
Jared (Sara's son) came by to store his luggage again and we met up with friend Kaitlin, from Little Rock, who attends Taylor. Can you guess where we might have had lunch? Ivanhoes', of course!
As I was driving away, I realized I had NOT taken a picture of these special young people, duh!
I am gratefully borrowing the one Jared posted on Facebook :-)
Yes, it was very cold! (Where is your wool hat, Kaitlin?)

As promised, I took SIL Diane to a couple of bookstores (her favorite thing to do) and then the snow began to come down relentlessly, so our afternoon was cut short.

I was glad to get home when I did.

This morning, Sunday, one of the first images I saw on FB was of son Stephan's ice carving competition piece in Bay Harbor, MI.

Music Within
I liked what he wrote: This weekend I carved a 2400 pound competition ice sculpture called Music Within. It's about our own God-given passions and what motivates us to do what we do. And frankly, this piece makes me happy. 

I find writing rewarding. Mike is downstairs in his studio patiently plugging away at a wax sculpture that makes him happy.

What creative activity makes you happy?


sara said...

wow, so much in your week. My mama's heart cries with you when I see those pictures of Sam and hear of the pain. I know it was a scary time for you and am thankful he is doing well and back home!!!

I LOVE that piece of Stephan's. I just don't understand how he does that intricate the hands. So beautiful!

Wishing I could see you, friend, and sit around your table!!! :)

The Bug said...

So glad Sam is home & on the mend. I wonder if this second hospitalization could have been avoided if they'd just kept him longer the first time? Sigh.

LOVE the ice sculpture! It's so powerful.

I feel Leah's pain - hope it all went well for her!

We just had more snow on Saturday & now we're expecting even more tomorrow. Let's just all sigh AGAIN. :)