Monday, May 21, 2018

2018 Week 20: Quiet celebrations

Mothers' Day and another birthday slipped by quietly this week with sufficient sweet and loving greetings and reminders.

A couple of my favorite flowers: lily of the valley and columbine

Early in the week a friend sent me a photo of the house I lived in as a teenager in Don Bosco, Buenos Aires, Argentina. This is what it looks like today, very run down they tell me. 
The first memory that came was that the upstairs window on the right was my room, until my parents caught me talking to boys and moved me to the back bedroom.
Many, and more serious reminiscences, were elicited by the numerous comments that came when I posted the photo on Facebook and asked my friends to write their memories. They provided a whole chapter for my memoir!


Tuesday was the day set aside to visit Mother. She had written and called inviting me to the Grace Village Healthcare program in honor of mothers. The staff in charge of activities work hard to plan, prepare and put together these events. These lovely ladies, most in their 90's were so cute holding up their assigned letter as we sang a song about mothers.


After refreshments, we went to visit "Aunt" Margaret, who still lives in the independent living area. We joined her at chime choir rehearsal and enjoyed the lovely music these residents produce, even when they cannot hear very well! Margaret herself  will be 97 on the 25th of this month!

A couple of days this week, Michael put in considerable time and effort loading logs that lay all winter and delivering them to Stephan for use somewhere in the timber frame house he is working on.


Thursday art club keeps limping along. Only three of us this week, each working on our own project. We find that by setting aside this hour or two to actually paint we might accomplish something, but mostly we have fun sharing about life and experimenting with art.
I attempted to recreate a photo of Sophie from the week before by printing the sketch on watercolor paper for starters.


Moriah was focused on finals all week. Friday she packed up and left for home. Her first year of college is over!


That was also my birthday, a relaxed quiet day to reflect on God's hand upon my life and His faithfulness.

My favorite verse
In the evening we made a second attempt to try out an Egyptian restaurant that had been highly recommended. The first time was last semester when Michael picked me up after the four hour class I was teaching at Ivy Tech and wanted to surprise me. Alas, the Maadi was closed on Mondays.


Saturday afternoon, after the rain cleared, we had our first tandem ride of the season, perfect in every way.


Our lazy rainy morning was spent engrossed watching two major events, simultaneously--a replay of the royal wedding and the Taylor University commencement live--both quite fascinating.


I later heard from a good friend, great fan of the royals, about how she delighted in the grand event, rising early enough to watch the entire ceremony and even donning a special hat for the occasion.


Did you watch and see any special hat you would wear?

1 comment:

  1. Saturday is my day to sleep in, so I didn't watch the wedding live, but fortunately that's fine in the internet age - I got to watch the parts I was interested in (Bishop Curry's sermon, the choir, and the cellist). I would love to have worn a fascinator!

    What did you think of the Egyptian restaurant? Will you miss Moriah? Is she staying with you again next year? Is that enough questions? :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!