Monday, May 28, 2018

2018 Week 21: More celebrations

 Seasonal beauties keep changing. This is a wonderful time of year. However, it tends to be busy.


Sunday afternoon was mostly taken up by Rebecca's dance recital, her first. She and many other cute little ones had a couple routines in a major production--"The Nightmare Before Christmas." (Click on the link and you'll see her in the middle.)


After Monday dinner at Stephan's, I walked way back to find Karin's cabin. It is quite hidden now. So is my loft writing area. The greening of the huge trees has totally engulfed our house.


This week I had my first successful result from the bread machine my friend Darlene gave me. Chef-son Stephan makes fun of me. He says, "Why use a machine when making bread is so easy!" Alas, I never acquired that skill.

The beeman is very faithfully looking after his busy bees, and we are enjoying the fruit of his/their labours. Honeycomb on toast is wonderful!


Two more birthdays this week. For her 80th, Darlene, treated a handful of friends to a nice meal at Bob Evans on Thursday.



Friday, 25 de mayo, was a patriotic holiday in Argentina that brought back memories of long ago and a funny little story.
Every school day, we raised the flag and sang this song, "Aurora." The words and melody stuck with me even if I didn't stop to reflect on the meaning. In fact, it wasn't till recently when I saw the written lyrics that I realized that "a su lunala" (a word I did not understand), was actually "azul un ala". ðŸ˜€






Argentina Argentina Flag Flag National Cou

The song refers to the flag as a soaring eagle with one blue wing like the sky and another the color of the sea.
Duh! I finally understood!

Saturday, was Mike's birthday! We enjoyed a buffet lunch at an Indian restaurant (and I forgot to take a picture!) 
We also stopped nearby to see the progress on the fish pond project Moriah and family have been working on.


Then we stopped to see Sam and Kristie's house for sale. He has worked non-stop (literally) this week to finish all the renovations and did such a good job. (For a walk through video go here.) Now we pray that it sells soon!


We enjoyed visiting with the Open House hosts, Kristie and Elijah, her helper, both intent on showing off all the improvements. Meanwhile Sam was home sleeping at last. 



I think Michael's best moment came later when he finally finished routing all the circuits on the ThinSat board he's been working on forever!



Sunday afternoon the whole family, minus one, came to celebrate our birthdays. We had an outdoor picnic, on the hottest day so far this year! Leah had fun posting silly photos on Facebook. Like this one of me attempting to play Happy Birthday, and failing horribly.



We went indoors for cake and ice cream. Kayla had labored long and hard to make this beautiful cake, but then she forgot the candles, so we attempted a math equivalent of the one number we could not come up with. Again, photo credits go to Leah.



1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday to you guys! Love the picture of you with the accordion. I think that could only improve the Koch Family birthday song, right? :)

    Sam & Kristie's house is beautiful! Hope it sells very soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!