Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Commencements and Celebrations

Karin's floral surprise for 5/16--blue hydrangeas, some allium, and lilies.


Every Monday evening dinner, I enjoy the surprising progress on the house.


Joists here and rafters later in the week.


Tuesday morning I walked to my friend Jane's new house and had a wonderful visit. We are Scripture memory accountability partners. I found this happy little greeting on the way. 


That evening was the anticipated screening of Kendra's team's narrative film - Jack, the Town, and I. Ivisa Huber, the owner of This Old Barn B&B where much of the filming took place, hosted the event. It was planned for family and friends who could not attend the official screening at the university, but also to celebrate the accomplishment of the crew and cast. She served a wonderful meal. We had a delightful time getting to know the young filmmakers. I was thrilled that my dear friends Jane and Patryce could be there.


With every viewing I become more accepting of "Miss Holly" (smile) and able to appreciate the story.
On my desk I have a lovely reminder of the experience - a small canvas that captures one of the many learning scenes where director Kendra was walking me through the emotions my character was experiencing.


Michael is forever learning and trying new things. He cooks breakfast most mornings. I just had to take a picture of this experiment--egg in meringue. And he does not give up. His first attempt failed, but he came back another day, and look at this beauty! Tasty too.


Thursday evening the girls prepared a meal for us and we hung out together the entire time, even to the extent of going to the store together. Then we played a game, a 3" race to see who could write down the most words and phrases that represented memories from our time living in the same house. We gathered the many memories on a poster.
 

The Mother's Day balloon provided for hilarious helium-voice farewell messages.


This is what happens after  finals week, very little sleep and then commencement rehearsal. Notice mortar board and gown, and backpack. Can you find the graduating senior?


Unfortunately, major packing and moving comes next. Rebecca got to say goodbye to "Pancake," Moriah's little pet, a Robo Dwarf Hamster.


The BIG day arrived! Our resident graduate allowed me a couple photos of her outfits.


Because of the growing cold (a two-day sore throat and headache) I stayed home. This allowed me to watch two commencement ceremonies simultaneously. 
Malachi's graduation began at 9:00 and Moriah's at 10:00, so I was able to watch the important segments of each livestream.
The highlight of the day was when I recognized the student speaker for the Grace College and Seminary Commencement, our grandson Malachi Koch!  I was very moved, not only by what he shared, but also as I reflected on God's  hand upon his life.  He was a gift from above to two very lost young people. God delivered them and gave them a beautiful family. Then when Malachi was in his freshman year God spared his life when he suffered a serious accident! 


I was reminded of my graduation from Grace in 1966 when President Herman Hoyt (my uncle, Malachi's great great uncle) handed me my diploma.


And fifty years later




1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to everyone! I love Moriah's dress - so pretty. I hope you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!