Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Tis the Season . . .

Tis the Advent season . . . 
Finally all the Christmas decorations made their way out of the attic and slowly found their place. The mini Nativities  replaced the turtle collection on the kitchen window sill. This one is a favorite--one of Leah's many tiny clay sculptures.


The second Sunday of Advent is one when we look forward to the Christmas cantata - a beautiful and powerful presentation of the Gospel story from Creation to Redemption. 


Monday night dinner welcomed good friends we hadn't seen in a while, including a baby in the making! I probably looked like that 51 years ago before Stephan's arrival. I could better relate to Mary.


Tis the season for special gatherings, like the ladies' Bible Study Christmas brunch on Wednesday. I had not been with these friends all semester as I focused on writing. So it was a delight to be with them again. Each table had a special decoration. This one was made many years ago by the husband of our table hostess. She explained that the color of the cross etched into the star was from old nails in vinegar. Symbolic?


The young couple living temporarily with Leah, were waiting longingly for their baby to be born. Finally it happened Thursday night. Her very long labor and subsequent Caesarian reminded me again of Stephan's similar birth story.We were delighted to see this first family picture. The miracle of life and a safe delivery is a wondrous thing. 
Jesus spoke of the experience: "When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come, but when she has delivered the baby, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world." (John 16:21 ESV)


Our littlest family member certainly brings joy to all. He came for a bit on Saturday with his parents.

I am trying to cut down on Christmas decor, so put up only a small tree this year. I couldn't decide which picture I liked best, with or without flash. Kayla came over one day and relieved me of quite a few ornaments to use on her bigger tree.


I chose a watercolor of a fir tree for our Christmas card this year. The evergreen reminded me of God's everlasting love.



1 comment:

  1. Kalani (sp?) has grown SO MUCH! Wow! I like the blueness of the non-flash picture :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!