Thursday, November 11, 2021

Daily Grace

If you came right now, this is what you'd see as you drove in. We welcome you, however you visit, whether in person, by phone, or the internet. I've enjoyed a variety of interactions, and thank you who comment or respond to my posts. It is that time of year when I ask myself why I continue communicating via this blog Is it worth it? Would my time be better spent? Still questioning. 


One purpose is to record the events and highlights of each week.
Tuesday evening, the robotics team had a very successful Open House. The program is ramping up for the 2022 season with several new members. The increased interest is very encouraging.


Michael never lacks work, problems to solve, things to fix here in our house or our kids'.

We got away for a theater performance Friday at Taylor University--The Women of Lockerbie. It was amazingly well done and the bonus of that evening was to hear from the playwright herself. The story was inspired by the events following the crash of Pan Am flight 103 on Dec. 21, 1988. I had forgotten that  terrorist attack and had never heard about the "laundry project" that took place seven years later when the women of the town stormed the warehouse where all the effects of the 270 victims were stored, and undertook the task of washing the items and returning them to the families. The play in the tradition of Greek odes, was a very meaningful reflection on grief in its various responses, and emphasized the healing power of community.


Most of the week I worked very diligently on the next chapter of My Argentina story. That is hard work. I am grateful for what I learn from fellow writers. We have a Zoom meeting every Thursday and take turns critiquing one another's writings. This week we looked at a couple Christmas children's book proposals. 
I liked the concept of a Jesus Tree decorated with ornaments that symbolize aspects of Advent--the coming of God into our world to dwell with us in our humanity. Then Saturday at a craft sale, I saw these unique decorations. Perhaps I'll try to have a Jesus Tree this year.


I've been thinking much about the gift of God. Sunday was Reformation Sunday, remembering the great event when Martin Luther took a firm stand against the prevailing religious system which taught earning forgiveness through works or buying salvation. 
Grandson Malachi, gave his first sermon based on Ephesians 2:8 "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God."
In our own church, I was touched by the message of God's grace in Romans 5:10 "For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, . . ." To think that we do not have to fix ourselves, clean up our lives before we come to Him. Indeed we cannot do it on our own. He has already made a way for us while we were still sinners, far from Him. And, not only that, the verse continues, . . . "much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life." He helps and enables us to live life fully here and now by His grace. An unspeakable gift indeed.

Speaking of gifts, Samuel our youngest was God's gift to us 43 years ago. I came across this memory. Sam called it "our first picture together."


We were invited to their home for the birthday celebration. 
Probably the best gift of the evening was a very moving song by an old friend who recalled how a memory of Sam-u-el got him through a tough time. Quite a tribute to what God has done in and through Sam.


There were some other sweet moments: Diane enjoyed playing cars with a little guy and his mother; seeing the Hoch family after many years; and, my favorite, the interaction between six-year-old Winnie and Stephan, and her reaction to his jokes, "You're a weird man."


Winnie is quite a spunky little girl. She commandeered my phone to take some of the photos, like this one of the birthday man during the crazy Koch song.


How have you experienced God's grace this week?

2 comments:

  1. I use my weekly posts as a memory book - although I don't always do a good job of recording what HAPPENED during a week. I should get back to that!

    Happy birthday to Samuel! I love your first photo together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always appreciate your comments. You keep me going!

      Delete

I love hearing from you!