Thursday, November 4, 2021

Last week of October

 We do enjoy the cozy feeling and fragrance of candles on autumn evenings.

Autumn decor

Fall changes happened almost suddenly. These two pictures of what I see out of my window as I write, compare the color differences between the beginning of the week and the last day. 
Michael went out to blow the leaves that blanketed the driveway. No longer had he finished when it was covered again. We looked out and saw them falling like rain.


Stephan reminded us Monday at his dinner table of his great disappointment when he was a small child. I don't remember this, but he said that I explained that it was the first day of fall, which is when the leaves fall. He looked longingly and hopefully at the trees, but nothing was happening. That memory stayed with him to this day.

For lack of photos, here are two oldies. Christmas cards we sent to family from those early days in Germany.When we arrived at Mike's brother Terry's, he had them sitting out for us.

Christmas 1971, and 1973

I've noticed that often when disposing of old photos and letters, they are returned to the sender. Do you do that too? In my case, I find them meaningful, the messages I wrote long ago help me put together the puzzle of different periods of our life story.

I cam across this photo last week, and it was especially meaningful because my dear cousin Ed, we called him Eddie, passed away October 29. He was only four months older than me. He was recently widowed, and leaves behind a young daughter.
In this photo taken at the time of my parents' 50th wedding anniversary celebration, he is holding our granddaughter Kayla who is now 30-years-old.




Michael keeps busy all the time, but lamentably I have no photos to show of his work. The heating system at Stephan's house is complete now! Michael is now feeling the need to begin gathering in wood for our winter supply. Hopefully a couple weeks of decent weather will help.

Saturday I was scheduled to work at the Helping Hand store. I had fun interacting with the clients. This is a Taylor University Korean student who so enjoyed shopping and finding all kind of items that will help him survive his first Indiana winter. Here he is wearing or carrying them in bags or pockets. 


Mid morning, when the crowd had died down, I had a surprise call from a high school classmate in Argentina. What an interesting conversation after sixty years!

I had already agreed to help Kayla with the library Halloween party she was in charge of. Sadly, she was in quarantine and couldn't be there. However, she had planned and prepared so well that we seven helpers were able to pull off a very successful community event.
I was in charge of the station where kids had fun digging for hidden gumballs eyeballs in the spaghetti mess of brains.


Of course, one of my favorite moments was watching great grandson Kalani kicking around the balloons Tamara and I had painstakingly blown up. That was all he was interested in. A future soccer player perhaps?

Rebecca could not be there, of course, but dressed up anyway. I stopped by after and handed some goodies through the door. 


Sunday, we enjoyed a Moriah-meal. Ever since someone gave us these unique plates, we've enjoyed "plated" meals. 


We had a lot of catching up to do. The young engineer is "adulting" quite well! And, of course, we had to play a few rounds of Splendor. 

1 comment:

  1. I love that Moriah continues to visit you guys - it shows what a great influence you were (and continue to be) on her.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!